This is an amazing cruise, and always a highlight of the year. Travel past the Fred Hartman Bridge, into the Houston Ship Channel, then feel like you're on the Jungle Queen as you venture up Buffalo Bayou and into downtown Houston. We tie up at Allen's Landing, at the end of Main Street. Allen’s Landing is located @ 1001 Commerce St., 77002, nestled next to McIntyre’s Downtown. For more information on Allen’s Landing go to the following website: www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMRD6
Len and Mandy Meyers are leading this cruise
Because this trip is unique, below are some essential instructions for the cruise:
· You will need to fly your TMCA burgee while in transit thru the security area.
· The flotilla will primarily communicate via VHF radio throughout the cruise for staging, docking, and while underway. Monitoring VHF CH. 16 while underway is required by the USCG and is strongly suggested that all vessels carry at least one additional VHF radio for ship-to-ship communications within the flotilla. Alternate, ship-to-ship, staging/docking and suggested additional frequencies to monitor underway will be assigned by the Cruise Leaders.
· Security Permits will be sent by email just before the cruise; everyone must print them out and have on your boat in the event we are boarded by the Coast Guard.
· Your boat will need to clear 25' bridge height at Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW) and must be able to maintain a minimum of 8 knots speed made good.
· There is no electrical or water at Allen's Landing, so please check your generators and fill potable water tanks in advance so you won't run dry. It is also a good idea to inspect your vessel in advance and check all fluids, belts, hoses, batteries, and the overall mechanical integrity of your boat because mechanical struggles or breaking down in the Port of Houston can create numerous issues and challenges for the Skipper.
· The registration fee for the cruise will cover a park fees, porta john, overnight security, entertainment, and permits, Credit card fees.
· The flotilla staging area will assemble by NO LATER THAN 0845 hours Friday, October 13th, near LT100 on the Houston Ship Channel. This is adjacent to the shipping lanes on the EAST SIDE in proximity to the Fred Hartman Bridge. You will receive an order for line up within the flotilla. The flotilla will deploy up the Houston Ship Channel at 0900 hours sharp. All boats must travel together from this point to Allen’s Landing, Coast Guard Rules; this applies on the return trip as well! The CG has placed new rules on all future Allen’s Landing Cruises. We will have to travel with CG escort there & back! Our max speed will have to be 7knots. The trip should take about 4 hrs normally, but with reduced speed & waiting for escort may take longer. It will take an hour or more to dock all the boats. After that you have several options: Explore downtown or just relax & visit other boaters.
· You may wish to stay at Bayland Marina Thursday, Oct 12 to lessen your morning commute. You can make your reservation by calling Bayland Marina 281.422.8900 and speak with Harbor Master-Tim. Cost $1.50 ft. Mention you are a TMCA member and doing the Allen’s Landing Cruise.
· All boats must stay in order and in the flotilla while in the security area. There will be a docking plan for boats distributed before departure based on verified attendees. The order of boats for the flotilla are essential for and will greatly streamline the docking process.
· Be prepared to have other boats tied up to you, so bring plenty of lines and fenders. Please realize those rafted to your boat must have access to cross your boat to get to the landing. Please create easy access for them.
· There will be a brief Skipper's Meeting before the cruise at 5pm, Fri, Oct 6 at Elk’s Lodge.
· It will be up to each boat captain to collect money from his crew or not. (Sail boaters, riders, etc. please be prepared to split cost with the captain if asked) For those who would like to Cruise or attend trip to Allen’s Landing but need a boat ride, email Len at firstname.lastname@example.org or text 832.794.8637. Once, we have the list of power boaters’, we will see who might have space for you to ride along with them not stay on their boat. (You can have a car waiting for you @ Allen’s Landing, or better plan - stay at one of the Downtown hotels. Marriott hotels close by are Marriott-The ICON Hotel- 220 Main Street, Houston, TX 77002 832-667-4484 and SpringHill Suites Houston Downtown/Convention Center-904 Dallas Street, Houston, TX 77002, 832.366.1000.
We did not do a booking because they ask for a guarantee.
Passenger Information: You will need to submit the Names/DOB/TDL of everyone who will be traveling on your boat. This will be submitted to the Coast Guard. Click this link to complete the information. This is a pdf form where you can type directly on the form. This form will not be saved. You must print or save and send to Len at email@example.com Deadline for submission of the form is September 13.
As the cruise approaches, you’ll receive additional instructions and docking order.
As this cruise has budgeted for mandatory expenses (security, permits, porta-john), you will only receive a refund if we are able to fill your slot with someone on the wait list.
Agenda for the weekend:
Boats arrive at Allen’s Landing on Friday approx. 12:00 pm, docking complete around 1:00 pm
Afternoon events on own (see below)
5:00 pm Docktails with German Beer/Wine Tasting Event
Signup Genius for boats and land yachts to select a beer or wine to bring:
Beer/Wine Tasting Sign-up
6:00 pm Potluck Dinner Friday – focus on authentic German Food
Signup Genius for suggestions with recipe websites for common German dishes:
Shared Potluck Dinner Sign-up
7:00-10:00 pm Live Music with Ben Reyna
9:00 am Shared breakfast Saturday morning with Mimosas and Bloody Mary’s (boats to bring bubbly/Vodka, TMCA to provide OJ, Bloody Mary mix)
Afternoon events on own. A detailed list of events and activities will be provided to attendees by email prior to the event and will include location and distance from Allen's Landing. Expect to see suggestions for:
1. Bicycle, Ebike, Eskateboard, Eunicyle and Kayak Rentals
2. Exhibits and Tours
3. Events happening in Downtown that weekend
4. Breweries, Distilleries and Sports Bars
5:00 pm Docktails
6:00 pm Dinner at selected restaurant (or on own) – RESEARCHING/TBD
8:00pm-ish - Meet up at selected club for drinks after dinner Saturday Night – RESEARCHING/TBD
Prepare to depart between 9:30-10:00 am. Must depart as a group.
Breakfast on own or meet at Coffee Shop – Fifth Vessel
NOTE: MLB Playoffs will be during this weekend, activities may revolve around an Astros game one night
Depart for Home @ 9:30am
Land Yachts are welcome to party with us for any & all festivities. Please bring an appetizer for docktails. Please do not hesitate to make your hotel reservation.
Len and Mandy
Allen's Landing 2023 Cruise Leaders
M/V Sleepy Time Gal
Location Allen's Landing- 1001 Commerce St 7700